Be Prepared for Dynamics 365 Team Member Licensing Enforcement
In October 2018, Microsoft introduced a new Dynamics 365 Team Member SKU which featured several changes from its launch SKU. Most significant were the removal of create / update / delete usage rights for Account records and a restriction of these rights to a maximum of 15 custom entities.
These requirements haven't been technically enforced but this is set to change with the introduction of new Team Member App modules. Release plans for the 2020 Wave 1 Update include new Unified Interface modules for: Sales Team Member, Customer Service Team Member and Project Resource Hub.
IMPORTANT: From 1 April, these will be generally available, and Microsoft says technical enforcement of the new Team Members SKU will begin, through these app modules. Users who are licensed with the new Team Members SKU will lose access to existing applications including Sales Hub, Customer Service Hub or custom apps.
Team Member Telemetry
New reports are being made available to administrators in the Power Platform admin centre that cover Team Member usage. These will highlight scenarios where usage is out of compliance with Team Member use rights enabling action to be taken before 1 April.
Also, the new Team Member app modules are now available in early access preview for the 2020 Release Wave 1 enabling admins to test and validate prior to general availability.
By enabling the new Team Member security roles that come with these apps, administrators will be able to check compliance, identify potential usage gaps and review continued licence needs. This may require a step up to a full Dynamics 365 Online licence, or potentially switching users to a Power Apps (Platform) Plan licence.
D365 Users on Older Team Member SKUs (purchased before Oct'18)
Only users who have transitioned to the new Team Members SKU will be immediately affected on 1 April.
In line with Microsoft's earlier communications, customers with users on the earlier Team Members SKU renewing after 30 June 2020 will be required to renew on the new SKU. At this point, the new technical enforcement through the Team Member app modules would apply.
- New Team Member App Modules now available in early access preview
- Telemetry Reports covering D365 Team Member usage are being added to the Power Platform Admin Centre
From 1 APRIL
- Sales Team Member, Customer Service Team Member, Project Resource Hub apps will be generally available
- Start of technical enforcement for the new Team Members SKU (introduced October 2018)
- Customers on the new Team Members SKU will lose access to existing applications
From 30 JUNE
- Users on the earlier Team Member SKU will be renewed on the new SKU and new terms - limiting usage of accounts and custom entities
- Review telemetry in the Power Platform Admin Centre to identify potential non-compliance issues with existing Team Member licensing usage
- Test usage scenarios in early access preview for the new Team Member apps to understand the impact once these capabilities become generally available in April and technical enforcement commences
- Identify potential functionality gaps and review alternative licensing solutions
If you have any questions about Team Member licensing we are here to assist. Please get in touch, and we will help you make sure your organisation has the right licensing.
- Team Member Usage Telemetry
- Release Wave 1 - Early Access Preview
- About Customer Service Team Member
- About Sales Team Member