A Quick Guide to Dynamics 365 Team Member Licences
In this post we are focusing on the light user licensing option for Dynamics 365.
Microsoft terms light users as Team Members. This license is designed for individuals who only need limited access across Dynamics 365 apps.
Through a Team Member licence, users have full read access across all Dynamics 365 applications including Sales, Customer Service and Project Service. A 'full' user of Dynamics 365 for a single role-based first party app will also have Team Member capabilities.
For example, a user licensed with the Sales app would also be able to use Team capabilities to read Customer Service data such as entitlements, subject to the normal Dynamics user security permissions.
Team Member licenses are an important consideration as these enable Dynamics to be shared with more individuals within an organisation at a significantly lower rate compared to the price of a full app.
Capabilities & Restrictions
What capabilities do Team Member licences have? And, what functions do they lack compared to a 'full' Dynamics 365 user?
Dealing with the first part, we've listed a selection of Team Member functions:
- Full read access across all Dynamics 365 apps
- Write access to Contacts, Notes and Activities
- Write access to a maximum of 15 x custom entities - since October 2018 *
- Create and run embedded PowerApps within the model-driven app
- Update personal information
- Submit and approve time / expense entries
- User reporting and dashboards
- Access by web, mobile, tablet and via Outlook
- Run on-demand processes (for permitted entities only)
- Perform advanced finds
- Create personal views
- Mail merge
- Export to Excel (if authorised by administrator)
A selection of create / edit functions not available for Team Member licences include:
- Create, edit or delete leads and opportunities
- Create, edit or delete accounts - since October 2018 *
- Create, edit or delete knowledge posts - since October 2018 *
- Marketing Lists
- Quick Campaigns
- Case management
- Configure system views and system dashboards
- Microsoft Social Engagement
- Voice of the Customer surveys
- Products and price lists
- Create, edit or delete quotes and orders
- Work orders
* Dynamics 365 customers as of October 2018 will not be impacted to these changes to Team Member use rights announced in 2018 until July 2020 at the earliest...READ MORE
A single Team Member licence in isolation will not be suitable for system administrators. Also, for a user who needs any of the above functions a Dynamics 365 app or the Customer Engagement Plan will be the best solution.
However, there are many people in any organisation who will benefit from being connected to a shared platform but don't currently have access to Dynamics.
Rather than forcing users to pay for capabilities they don't need, Team Member licensing provides basic Dynamics functionality at an entry level price.
Users can access relationship detail, share communications and perform basic tasks to collectively increase productivity, deliver better service and gain new actionable business insights.
Learn More About Team Member Licences
Check our licensing page to access more resources about the licensing of Dynamics 365. If you want to know more about the Team Member licence we are here to help. We'll answer your questions, help reduce licensing complexity, and make sure that you licence users for only what they need. Get in touch to discuss your requirements.
Unsure if you have the right Dynamics licences?
Use our free check to confirm what Dynamics 365 licences your team need based on their usage of the product.