A Quick Guide to Dynamics 365 Team Member Licences
In this post we are focusing on the 'light user' licensing option for Dynamics 365.
Microsoft terms light users as Team Members. These are for individuals who only need limited access across a range of customer engagement apps.
Dynamics 365 includes sales, customer service, field service and project service and Team Member licences have full read access across each of these apps in active use on a Dynamics tenant.
A 'full' user that is licensed to a single app also has Team Member capabilities.
For example, if you are licensed with only the Sales app you can use Team capabilities to access Customer Service data - subject, of course, to the normal Dynamics user security permissions.
The Team Member option is an important licensing consideration as it enables Dynamics to be shared with more individuals within an organisation at a significantly lower price compared to the regular subscription rate for individual apps and the Customer Engagement Plan.
This post has been updated to reflect a series of changes to Team Member licences announced in October 2018...READ MORE
Capabilities & Restrictions
What capabilities do Team Member licences have? And, what functions do they exclude compared to a 'full' Dynamics 365 user?
Dealing with the first part, we've listed a selection of Team Member functions:
- Full read access across all customer engagement apps
- Write access to Contacts, Notes and Activities (Oct 2018 Update: removes write access for Accounts)
- Write access to a maximum of 15 x custom entities (Since Oct 2018 Update - previously unlimited)
- Create and run Powerapps within the context of use rights
- Update personal information
- Submit and approve time / expense entries
- User reporting and dashboards
- Access by web, mobile, tablet and via Outlook
- Run on-demand processes (for permitted entities only)
- Perform advanced finds
- Create personal views
- Mail merge
- Export to Excel (if authorised by administrator)
A selection of create / edit functions not available for Team Member licences include:
- Create, edit or delete leads and opportunities
- Create, edit or delete accounts (Since Oct 2018)
- Create, edit or delete knowledge posts (Since Oct 2018)
- Marketing Lists
- Quick Campaigns
- Case management
- Configure system views and system dashboards
- Microsoft Social Engagement
- Voice of the Customer surveys
- Products and price lists
- Create, edit or delete quotes and orders
- Work orders
A single Team Member licence in isolation will not be suitable for system administrators. Also, for a user who needs any of the above functions a Dynamics 365 app or the Customer Engagement Plan will be the best solution.
But there are many people in any organisation who will benefit from being connected to a shared platform who perhaps don't currently have access to Dynamics.
These aren't full users who need to track cases, manage sales leads or create marketing lists.
Rather than forcing users to pay for capabilities they don't need, Team Member licensing provides basic Dynamics functionality at an entry level price.
Users can access relationship detail, share communications and perform basic tasks to collectively increase productivity, deliver better service and gain new actionable business insights.
Check our licensing page to access more resources about the licensing of Dynamics 365 including our quick reference PDF guide.
If you want to know more about the Team Member licence we are here to help. We'll answer your questions, help reduce licensing complexity, and make sure that you licence users for only what they need.